Law Society NT Logo
Law Society NT Logo
  • Home
  • Profession
  • Practising Certificates & insurance
  • Practising certificates

Practising certificates


Under the Legal Profession Act 2006 (NT) (LPA), it is the responsibility of each practitioner to ensure that they have a current Practising Certificate (PC). The practising certificate year runs from 1 July to 30 June each year.

All enquiries regarding PCs should be directed to the Society’s License Officer: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 


There are 5 types of PCs issued in the Northern Territory (NT):

Unrestricted: Usually issued to firm partners, sole practitioners, and senior solicitors in government departments, or legal aid organisations. Entitlement to an Unrestricted PC is set out in the LPA or inquiries may be directed to the Society.

Restricted: Employee solicitor in a legal firm, government department or legal aid service. Must be supervised by the holder of an Unrestricted PC.

Restricted Corporate Lawyer: Issued to an employee solicitor in a private corporation or a solicitor who advises only their employer organisation.

Restricted Volunteer Lawyer: Issued to a practitioner who engages in supervised legal practise as a volunteer in a complying community legal centre.

Barrister: Australian legal practitioner practising as counsel only. The Society has adopted a formal policy as to what constitutes the work of a practitioner engaging in legal practice in the manner of a Barrister only.


An application for a NT PC must be submitted on the Society’s approved form and can be lodged as an original signed form or as a PDF document via email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. A PDF application can be signed by affixing an electronic signature such as a digital image of your signature or a digital signature that can be read using Adobe software.

An application is only received by the Society upon its delivery to the Society by hand, by post or to the Society’s Court Box, or upon receipt by email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Electronic copies of an application form sent to any other email address at the Society will not be deemed as received by the Society until the email is opened by a staff member of the Society and the application form is extracted from that email.

In addition to the application form you should provide:

  • Evidence of Professional Indemnity Insurance (PII) if applicable i.e. sole practitioners, principle of a law practice (Lawcover) and Barristers (currently Suncorp).

  • Payment of the PC fee and if applicable, payment of the Legal Practitioners Fidelity Fund (LPFF) Annual Contribution.

If applying for a NT PC for the first time, the following is required:

  • a new PC application;

  • a current Certificate of Fitness (valid for 28 days only) from each jurisdiction in which you have been admitted or have held a PC. The Certificate is to be emailed directly from the relevant regulatory body to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.;

  • a certified copy of your Admission Certificate from each jurisdiction in which you have been admitted; and

  • if applicable, evidence that you have surrendered your interstate PC.

If you are applying for an Unrestricted PC for the first time
, the proforma Statutory Declaration regarding completion of the period of supervised legal practice must be completed. The Society recommends you use this PC Application Checklist to ensure that you have provided all supporting documents with your application to ensure timely processing of your application.


The Society has 3 application forms available, each for a different purpose:

  • New application: For first time applications for a NT PC or for applications after a period when the practitioner has not practised in the NT.

  • Renewal application: For applications by a current NT PC holder to renew their PC for the next PC year. This application should be submitted to the Society during the renewal period (1 April to 31 May) or in the late fee period (1 to 30 June).

  • Change application: For applications by a current NT PC holder to change or upgrade the category of PC they hold during the currency of their PC.


PC fees and the Annual Contribution are paid to the LPFF and are not subject to GST.

For PC applications made after the start of the practising certificate year the application fees and LPFF Annual Contribution are calculated on a pro-rata basis.

To calculate the amount payable for your PC application check the 2024-25 Schedule of Fees.


A practitioner may practise in the NT on their interstate PC for one off matters as long as they ensure that their PII in their home jurisdiction will cover them engaging in legal practice in the NT.

If a practitioner is residing in the NT, they need to apply for a Local Northern Territory PC.

A practitioner who practices in the NT on an ad hoc basis or relocates, may be able to continue to practise on their interstate PC until the end of the PC year (30 June) provided they are covered by PII under the NT approved PII scheme or are otherwise exempt from the requirement to hold NT approved PII under the LPA or an exemption approved by the Society.


NOTE: All PC Applications must be downloaded to enable a digital signiture to be inserted.  

Last modified: 16/07/2024 1:09 PM

Office details

Office: 3/6 Lindsay St. Darwin NT 0800
Post: GPO Box 2388 Darwin NT 0801
ABN: 62 208 314 893


Please note that the Society does not offer legal advice.

A list of lawyers can be found here.

Telephone: (08) 8981 5104