Legal costs information
The Society has prepared documentation to assist users of legal services in understanding their rights in regards to the cost of their legal services provided.
Legal costs - your right to know - explains the process of disputing lawyers' costs and includes information on topics such as:
- your right to:
- enter into a costs agreement,
- receive a bill of costs,
- be notified of changes,
- request written progress reports; and
- what to do if you are unhappy with your legal costs.
Your right to challenge legal costs - includes information on topics such as:
- Talking to your lawyer
- Lump sum and itemised bills
- Costs mediation
- Costs assessment
- Setting aside a costs agreement
- Other avenues for challenging legal costs.
Legal Costs Mediation Less than $10,000 - includes
- Clients right to refer mediation to Statutory Supervisor
- An application form including details of supporting documents required
Application for costs assessment - includes information on:
- Background to costs assessment
- The fee
- The application
- An application form