Local Court hearings to be vacated to help tackle spread of COVID-19
The NT Local Court is taking measures to help stop the spread of COVID-19 and will delay many hearings scheduled to take place until June 2020.
Non-custodial hearings will be vacated and listed for Case Management Inquiry (CMI).
CMI's are usually brief procedural listings that enable the matter to be heard by the court at a later date.
- The rescheduling only affects contested matters where nobody is in custody awaiting a court hearing.
- In Darwin April Hearings are now vacated and listed for CMI on 22 June, 2020. The May hearings are vacated and listed for CMI on 23 June. June Hearings are vacated and listed for CMI on 24 June.
- In Katherine non-custody contested hearings in April and May are vacated and listed for CMI on June 22, 2020.
- Similar arrangements are being made for matters in Alice Springs and Tennant Creek.
- All interim domestic violence orders are continued.
- People concerned about appearance requirements can check these court lists and contact the Criminal Registry of Darwin Local Court if they need further clarification.
- Court lists are on the Local Court website, so if you don't see your name check the relevant court list.
- The new measures are in addition to the efforts NT Courts and Tribunals have so far made to help reduce the risk of COVID-19 spreading in courts.
- After June 2020 the situation will be re-examined and further changes may be required.
- - -
To view the original release and to download Criminal Court lists for Darwin and Katherine, go to: https://localcourt.nt.gov.au/court-updates/local-court-hearings-be-vacated-help-tackle-spread-covid-19#. (Login required to download Criminal Court lists).