Legal Practitioner - Bowden McCormack - Katherine, NT
Legal Practitioner - Bowden McCormack
If you are a commercial lawyer looking to broaden your experience in an exceptional part of the world, then look no further than being a part of the team which conducts the most unique practice in the region. Bowden McCormack is a law firm that provides strategic, high-value corporate and commercial advice for companies, SMEs, not-for-profits, government and statutory bodies across Northern Australia. In particular, it has a niche market in providing such advice to Aboriginal leaders, Aboriginal clan groups and their corporations, Land Councils and various remote area charitable organisations. Advice in these areas focuses upon business and community development, governance, property transactions and dealings with Aboriginal land tenure pursuant to the Aboriginal Land Rights (Northern Territory) Act 1976 (Cth). Our firm provides such advice in a professional, determined and forthright manner. We also have a high commitment to innovation, coupled with a commercial, goal-driven and culturally-appropriate approach, which allows us to provide relevant, efficient and practical assistance. In doing so, we aim to be the best we can be so as to achieve optimum results for a diverse range of clientele.
Services available to clients are as follows:
- Commercial & Corporate
- Property, including leasing
- Civil Litigation
- Primary Objectives
- To provide high quality legal advice to the firm’s diverse clientele in a professional manner
- Represent, assist and advise clients in all matters dealt with by the firm;
- To continually develop the professional skills, expertise and experience required of a legal practitioner;
- Assist in the development of appropriate skills, experience and expertise of the firm’s staff; and
- Any and all other duties that are safe, legal and logical and within the limits of the employee’s skill, competence and training.
- Qualified to be admitted as a legal practitioner in the Northern Territory;
- Experience in providing legal advice, including capacity to provide legal representation;
- At least 3 years post admission experience in a commercial law firm with a focus on commercial and corporate matters;
- Highly developed written and oral communication skills;
- Well-developed negotiation skills, particularly in relation to commercial matters;
- Ability to work under pressure and with limited supervision and have an adaptable, flexible approach to work;
- High level of organisational skills with a proven ability to determine workload priorities and meet stringent deadlines;
- Professional and courteous communication skills with the ability to contribute to, and work as part of a professional team;
- Preparedness to travel to and work in remote areas as required;
- Sound professional ethics of confidentiality and discretion; and
- Current drivers licence (manual).
- An understanding of, or experience in dealing with, economic development issues;
- Experience working with Aboriginal organisations or issues;
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently as part of a multi-discipline team of professional and nonprofessional staff;
- High level of computing skills; and
- Legal research skills.
High level communication skills
- Ability to achieve results.
- Ability to develop productive working relationships.
- Demonstrated personal drive, integrity and the ability to work under pressure.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Strong computer/technology skills.
- High level organisational skills.
Submitting your application
Applications must include:-
- A copy of your Resume or CV; and
- A document addressing the Position Specific, Desirable and Generic Selection Criteria.
Postal Address: GPO Box 2644 Darwin NT 0801
Hand Delivery Address: Suite 4, Level 1, Northgate Plaza 101 Mitchell Street, Darwin NT.